Relationships With Suppliers
An Open, Competitive Environment
We believe that an open, competitive environment is beneficial to both buyer and seller, and it is our policy to foster this environment. We buy on the basis of definitive specifications, quality of products and service, and advantageous pricing. We are constantly on the lookout for new and innovative ideas from our suppliers.
Our success depends on our ability to deliver quality service to our customers. A supplier to UPRR is a part of the quality team that is essential to accomplish our mission. This requires that our suppliers have satisfactory quality at a competitive price, maintain an adequate quality control program, work effectively with us to correct problems, and deliver materials or services on schedule. We are always willing to discuss quality problems with our suppliers and also welcome proposals for design or other improvements in purchased items. As a part of our quality effort, representatives from Supply's purchasing and quality areas and our user departments will visit suppliers of major or critical materials.
The Supply Department has created a quality business plan to provide information on the elements, policies and strategic plans that will affect Union Pacific Railroad and our suppliers. This documented plan provides for clear communication of tasks to be performed and for consolidation of ideas, objectives and strategies into one master framework for quality. The plan serves as a tool for management control and reporting, and identifies opportunities for improvement. It also provides a historical record of the planning process.
Bid List Requirements
The basic information required to become a potential service provider for Union Pacific includes:
- Full legal business name
- Mailing address and remittance address (if different than mailing address)
- Telephone and facsimile numbers, and email and/or Internet address if applicable
- Business type (sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation) and state in which organized
- State and/or federal taxpayer identification numbers
- Minority business type
- Type of services that you provide (including SIC codes if known)
- Geographic area in which you are willing to provide these services
- Names of contact persons for reception of bid documents and invoice inquiries
- Statement of qualifications, including summary of recent projects and references
An online Apply to Become a Supplier form is available if you would like to qualify as a service or material provider for Union Pacific.