The Importance of Item Numbers on Materials Purchase Orders
Each item on a Union Pacific materials purchase order has its own specific item number. These item numbers must also be referenced on all:
- Shipping notices
- Delivery documents
- Packing lists
- Credit memos
- Any other purchase order-related documents
There are two types of item numbers (corresponding with the two types of materials purchase orders):
- Item Numbers for Stock Purchase Orders
Example: Item number 599-1234-0
- Stock items are assigned unique numbers within our stock material system.
- The first seven digits in a stock item number identify the item, followed by a one-digit kind code designation. The kind codes are 0 for new and 3 for vendor repair or unit exchange.
- Item Numbers for Non-Stock Purchase Orders
Example: Item number 001
- Non-stock items reflect the line numbers which appear consecutively on the purchase order.
- Non-stock item numbers consist of three digits.