Proud to Serve the Military
Union Pacific is committed to providing quality transportation to the military. Every year, we ship thousands of rail cars of ammunition, Humvees, tanks and other various types of military equipment. Our geographic reach and connections allow us to deliver equipment across the country between military installations or to a port for overseas deployment.
Union Pacific's military shipping capabilities are not limited to our extensive system map. We will coordinate your shipment through our network, through other railroads and over the road, providing complete, door-to-door service.
Union Pacific Military Facts
- Only Class I railroad to receive EDI billing from GFM / TC-AIMS
- Load planning, drayage, securement and specialized services available to customize for a unit's requirements
- Ability to transport from a tricon or trailer to an M1 (12-ft. wide, 132,000 lbs.)
- Union Pacific directly serves more than 25 military facilities, see a map of the facilties we serve
- Comprehensive, door-to-door solutions
Proven Track Record - Fort Riley Expansion
- Union Pacific's Military Support Team, the Kansas City District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Fort Riley officials worked together to complete a $15 million, 33,000-foot track expansion project
- Prior to the expansion, Fort Riley could deploy only about 100 rail cars in 24 hours
- Today, Fort Riley can build four to five trains in advance and deploy an entire brigade – 600 to 700 rail cars, in less than two days
The Green Transportation Choice
Shipping by rail is inherently safer, greener and less expensive than shipping by truck.
- Effective: One rail car has the loading capacity of up to four truckloads
- Efficient: In most cases we are the most cost-efficient shipping option
- Environmentally Friendly: Union Pacific can move one ton of freight nearly 500 miles on a single gallon of diesel fuel
Learn more about Union Pacific's green initiatives.
G.I. Jobs has named Union Pacific Railroad as one of America's top military-friendly employers. Find out more. In addition to being recognized by G.I. Jobs, Union Pacific was presented the Military Officers Association of America Distinguished Service Award in 2009. Union Pacific is a member of the Army Reserve's Employee Partnership Initiative, is a supporter of the Army Partnership for Youth Success program and is a past recipient of the Freedom Award, the U.S. government's highest employer recognition.
Get to Know Us
Union Pacific is experienced in working with the military to provide customized, comprehensive solutions to meet their unique requirements. Contact a member of the military team to get started.
See our complete Marketing & Sales Military Support Team for additional contact information.