Hazardous Waste Movement Instructions
In order to streamline transactions on hazardous waste shipments, Union Pacific is implementing the following change for all shipments of hazardous waste effective January 1, 2009.
Effective January 1, 2009, there will be two options available to transmit movement instructions (bill of lading, equipment placement and equipment release communication) to Union Pacific. These options will provide a more efficient and accurate method for communicating.
Allowable Electronic Options for Movement Instructions
- Union Pacific Web site
- EDI (Electronic Data Interchange)
Effective January 1, 2009 we will no longer accept or process movement instructions that are received via any other method (e.g., fax).
All 480000 STCC's both rail car and container shipments. For containers on flatcars, load plan must also be sent with Bill of Lading.
New Process to Initiave EDI Billing for Hazardous Waste Manifests
- Customer faxes in their copy of the Hazardous Waste Manifest to 1-800-365-4234.
- The Hazardous Waste Manifest must be received by noon CST Monday through Friday. The transporter box (17) must be left blank. If the shipment is destined to Mexico, the EPA 'Acknowledgement of Consent' must also be faxed with the manifest.
- A Hazardous Material Team Leader will electronically sign and date on behalf of Union Pacific in box 17 and fax the signed document back to the generator.
- Upon receipt of the signed Hazardous Waste Manifest, the generator sends EDI 404 (either through their system or UP's Web site) and intermodal load plan (if applicable).
Handling of Original Hazardous Waste Manifest
- Generator overnights original Hazardous Waste Manifest with all copies to:
Union Pacific Railroad
c/o Stephen Spencer
Team Leader Hazardous Material
1400 Douglas STOP 1450
Omaha, NE 68179
- Team Leader will overnight signed Hazardous Waste Manifest to the disposal site and copy to generator (if requested). An additional signed copy will be overnighted to the Mexican broker, if necessary, for export shipments.
- Any short line railroad or shipper's authority to sign Hazardous Waste Manifest on behalf of UP are cancelled.
For customers who currently do not use one of these electronic options, we're ready to help you make an easy transition:
- For the web, you'll find everything at MyUPRR (User ID and password required) which you can register for from our Customer page. Once in MyUPRR, select our Bill of Lading or Equipment Placement and Release application to move forward.
- For EDI options, call our e-Commerce Team at 1-800-872-1045.
If you have technical questions or concerns, our e-Commerce Team can help at 1-800-872-1045. Please contact your UP representative if you have additional questions.