Union Pacific Surpasses Own Records for Moving Loaded Coal Trains Out of Wyoming
Omaha, Neb., September 03, 2008 Union Pacific today announced that it has surpassed its own monthly record for delivering coal out of Wyoming's Southern Powder River Basin (SPRB) not only once, but twice. In the month of August, the railroad moved 1,190 loaded coal trains out of the SPRB, making it the best month on record and surpassing the previous record of 1,174 loaded trains set in July 2008.
"Our investments in the Joint Line and throughout our coal network are paying dividends in terms of our coal train velocity and throughput," said Doug Glass, vice president and general manager – energy.
UP also announced the following SPRB coal loading records:
- A record 18.7 million tons of SPRB coal were transported in August, surpassing the previous record of 18.2 million tons moved in July 2008.
- A single-day record of 50 trains were loaded on August 10 to eclipse the previous record of 46 trains set on November 29, 2007.
The Union Pacific/BNSF Joint Line records included:
- 2,197 trains loaded in August versus the previous record of 2,136 trains loaded in July 2008.
- 81 coal trains over the Joint Line on August 16 surpassed the old record of 80 trains set on November 4, 2007.
- An average of 70.87 loaded trains a day on the Joint Line in August compared to 70.53 trains in November 2007.
Union Pacific has loaded 476 (5.8 percent) more SPRB trains through August compared to the same time last year. Through August, the Joint Line has seen an increase of 698 loaded trains or 4.5 percent over 2007.
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific Corporation owns one of America's leading transportation companies. Its principal operating company, Union Pacific Railroad, links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serves the fastest-growing U.S. population centers. Union Pacific's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad offers competitive long-haul routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways. Union Pacific connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major gateways to Mexico, making it North America's premier rail franchise.
For further information, contact Mark Davis at (402) 544-5459.
The statements and information contained in the news releases provided by Union Pacific speak only as of the date issued. Such information by its nature may become outdated, and investors should not assume that the statements and information contained in Union Pacific's news releases remain current after the date issued. Union Pacific makes no commitment, and disclaims any duty, to update any of this information.