For Those Boys and Girls Who Have Been More Naughty Than Nice, Union Pacific Has Santa Covered With Record Coal Loadings
Omaha, Neb., December 03, 2007 As Santa makes preparations for his rounds this year, Union Pacific has him covered if he needs to fill many stockings with coal. Union Pacific today announced that it has once again surpassed its own monthly record for delivering coal out of Wyoming’s Southern Powder River Basin (SPRB). In the month of November, the railroad delivered 17.9 million tons of coal out of the SPRB, making it the best month on record and surpassing the previous record of 17.1 million tons of coal delivered to customers this past September.
"For three straight months now, we have consistently increased our South Powder River coal train loadings year-over-year and month-over-month based upon the strength and performance of all three parties in the coal supply chain. We are meeting our customers’ needs as a result of our unrelenting efforts to handle demand as efficiently as possible. We congratulate the mines in the SPRB, the utilities and our employees for their efforts in making November 2007 the best coal loading month in our history," said Doug Glass, vice president and general manager – energy.
UP also announced the following monthly SPRB coal delivery records:
- A record 1,159 coal trains were loaded in November, surpassing September’s record of 1,114 trains loaded in a 30-day month.
- A daily average of 38.63 trains loaded in the SPRB in November versus the previous daily average record of 37.13 trains loaded in September.
- A single-day loading record of 46 trains were loaded on November 29 to eclipse the previous record of 45 set on September 29.
- A consecutive seven-day record set was set twice during the last week of November with 293 and 284 trains loaded, versus the previous consecutive seven-day record set during the last week of September with 278 trains loaded.
- Coal train size records of 15,460 tons per train and 130.6 cars per train were established in November. Both metrics are more than 2 percent higher than last year.
- The entire Energy commodity group, that includes SPRB, Colorado/Utah, Southern Illinois, Hanna Basin and coke, had best-ever records for any month regarding tons and carloadings. The total tons record of 23.9 million tons surpasses the August 2007 record of 23.6 million tons. The total carloadings record of 205,462 topped the August 2007 total of 203,759.
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific Corporation owns one of America’s leading transportation companies. Its principal operating company, Union Pacific Railroad, links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serves the fastest-growing U.S. population centers. Union Pacific’s diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad offers competitive long-haul routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways. Union Pacific connects with Canada’s rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major gateways to Mexico, making it North America’s premier rail franchise.
For further information, contact Mark Davis (402) 544-5459 or Kathryn Blackwell (402) 544-3753.
The statements and information contained in the news releases provided by Union Pacific speak only as of the date issued. Such information by its nature may become outdated, and investors should not assume that the statements and information contained in Union Pacific's news releases remain current after the date issued. Union Pacific makes no commitment, and disclaims any duty, to update any of this information.