Working Mother Magazine Names Union Pacific a Top Company
For the Fifth Time, UP is Recognized as a Top Company for Working Mothers
Omaha, Neb., September 25, 2006 Working Mother magazine announced that it has again named Union Pacific one of the nation’s 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers. Working Mother has included North America’s largest railroad for the fifth time in six years.
"We are thrilled that Working Mother has recognized our efforts to create a culture that helps employees balance work and families," said Barb Schaefer, senior vice president-Human Resources for Union Pacific. "We are in the midst of a hiring campaign, and as we continue to hire new employees across our 23-state system, we are making every effort to foster an environment that will attract and retain working parents."
Compensation, advancement, flexibility, childcare, parental leave and work/life balance are all high priorities for the railroad. As a 24/7 operation, Union Pacific takes extra measures to take care of its employees. Benefits include:
- An integrated health and wellness initiative that stresses healthy lifestyles. UP employees are urged to take responsibility for their health and can take part in company-sponsored smoking cessation programs, weight management programs and fitness programs.
- "Plan Tomorrow, Today," a financial literacy campaign introduced in 2006 to simplify communication about retirement benefits.
- Rest Easy, which pays half the cost of a nurse to go to an employee’s home if a child or dependent is sick.
- LifeCare Services, a 24/7 referral service to help employees find information, support programs and referral services for children and elder care.
- A 19,000-square-foot state-of-the-art fitness facility within the railroad’s headquarters in downtown Omaha. The facility includes 50 strength training machines and 50 aerobic machines supervised by American College of Sports Medicine certified staff. Free membership is provided to employees, spouses, retirees and contractors. For employees outside of Omaha, UP sponsors free membership at more than 500 facilities throughout its 23-state system.
- A $5 million, 20,000-square-foot childcare center near headquarters. The center opened in 2005 and can accommodate approximately 200 children between the ages of six weeks and six years.
- Expanded special programming from LEAD (Lead, Educate, Achieve, Develop), the railroad’s women’s networking group, delivered to the field via tapes and teleconferences.
- Part-time work (while keeping their benefits), flextime, job sharing and telecommuting.
"It is important to realize that it is not enough for companies to have work/life programs; we measure the success of these programs," said Suzanne Riss, Editor-in-Chief of Working Mother magazine. "We track whether employees use them, and whether the programs are getting better each year. Union Pacific has risen to our challenge."
In surveying companies that applied for this year’s list, Working Mother gave particular weight to questions in two areas: flexible scheduling, the most critical benefit for working mothers; and leave time, because it is essential for parents to be able to take time off from work.
The complete list of the Working Mother 100 Best Companies can be found at www.workingmother.com and will be profiled in the October issue of Working Mother magazine.
About Working Mother
Founded in 1979, Working Mother magazine reaches nearly 3 million readers and is the only national magazine for career-committed mothers. Its 21-year signature initiative, the Working Mother 100 Best Companies, is the most important benchmark for work/life practices in corporate America.
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific Corporation owns one of America's leading transportation companies. Its principal operating company, Union Pacific Railroad, links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serves the fastest-growing U.S. population centers. Union Pacific’s diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad offers competitive long-haul routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways. Union Pacific connects with Canada’s rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major gateways to Mexico, making it North America’s premier rail franchise.
For more information, contact Shannon Sherman at (402) 514-9423.
The statements and information contained in the news releases provided by Union Pacific speak only as of the date issued. Such information by its nature may become outdated, and investors should not assume that the statements and information contained in Union Pacific's news releases remain current after the date issued. Union Pacific makes no commitment, and disclaims any duty, to update any of this information.