U.S. Railroad Industry's Outstanding Track Record
The U.S. Railroad Industry has an outstanding track record for safely delivering hazardous materials.
- 99.9977% of all rail hazmat shipments reach their destination without a release caused by a train accident.
- In 2012, railroads set new overall safety records, continuing a string of safety achievements reaching back decades.
- Rail hazmat train accident rates have declined by 91% since 1980.
Railroads are continuously improving safety when it comes to transporting crude oil and other hazardous materials.
- Every day, across the country railroads are inspecting tracks, locomotives and cars carrying crude oil and other hazardous liquids.
- Railroads have in place an extensive training and preparedness program involving specialized safety training for rail personnel, as well as local first responders.