More than any other railroad, Union Pacific is employing security-focused technology to help keep watch over key installations and railroad infrastructure.
Some examples include:
- Gamma ray inspection technology that can detect people or hidden devices.
- A Train Rider Identification Detection System (TriDS) which detects unauthorized riders while the train is moving at track speed.
- A surveillance network that can report the location and movement of hazardous cargo within seconds.
- A secure communications network.
- Smart cameras, impact recorders and other sensors that are being piloted near bridges, rail yards, tank farms, tunnels and sidings.
- Virtual fencing which alerts UP's Response Management Communication Center when trespassers are detected..