Tulsa-Sapulpa Union Railway Company TSU #709
Nature of Firm
TSU operates freight service from Tulsa to Sapulpa, OK (10 miles). Connections are made with UP at Tulsa and BNSF at Sapulpa and Sand Springs. TSU leases and operates the Jenks Industrial Lead from UP. The Jenks Industrial Lead runs 12.9 miles from Tulsa to Jenks, OK. Traffic includes silica sand, soda ash, limestone, plastic pellets, glass bottles, steel products and paper products.
The Sapulpa & Interurban Railway built a line from Sapulpa to Mounds in 1908 and operated as an electric interurban line for the purpose of transporting oil field workers from the Tulsa area to the Sapulpa oil fields. The company went bankrupt in 1912 and merged with the Oklahoma Union Railway, which had built a line from Tulsa to Sapulpa. The Mounds-Sapulpa line was abandoned in 1928, and the company went bankrupt the following year. Passenger service ended in 1933. In September 1933 the railway was incorporated as the Sapulpa Union Railway. The following year the railroad became a corporation, and the name changed to the Tulsa-Sapulpa Union Railway. The railroad converted from electric to diesel operation in 1959.
Tulsa-Sapulpa Union Railway Company
|Interchange Points||Tulsa, OK|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier for the Jenks Industrial Lead Sapulpa Branch bilateral agreement|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|