Tacoma Rail TRMW #816
Nature of Firm
Tacoma Rail operates over 204 miles of track in northwestern Washington, consisting of three divisions. TRMW’s Mountain Division runs from a connecting track in Tacoma to Frederickson, and then to Morton or Chehalis for a total of 132 miles. The Tidelands Division switches Tacoma industries including the Port of Tacoma and interchanges with both UP and BNSF at Tacoma. UP also still interchanges with Tacoma Municipal Belt Line (TMBL). The Capital Division consists of three former BNSF lines.
Tacoma Rail started in the early part of the 1900’s as the Municipal Street Railway. It became a common carrier in 1914 and began to serve the Port of Tacoma in 1918. In the 1940’s the name was changed to Tacoma Municipal Belt Line Railway. In 1998, the name was changed to Tacoma Rail. Tacoma Rail includes the Tacoma Rail Mountain Division (TRMW) which is also a switch road as of 8/31/2009.
|Company Affiliation||City of Tacoma|
|Interchange Points||Fife and Lakeside, WA|
|Agreement Type||Switch Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|