Sand Springs Railway Company SS #707
Nature of Firm
SS operates freight service between Sand Springs and Tulsa, OK with 32 miles of trackage (all yard limits). Connections are made with UP, BNSF and South Kansas Oklahoma Railroad (SKOL). Traffic handled includes steel, pulpboard, scrap iron, scrap paper, petroleum products, plastics and lumber.
This company was incorporated February 6, 1911 and was opened west from Tulsa to Sand Springs with 8.6 miles in May 1911 by the Sand Springs Home. The railroad was operated by electricity until 1955 when it discontinued passenger service and changed over to diesel locomotives. The Sands Springs Home sold to HMK, Inc. in 1987. A subsidiary of HMK, Inc., Sheffield Steel, declared bankruptcy and, in 2006, the Sand Springs, OK steel mill and rail operations were bought out by Gerdau Ameristeel. In October 2009, mill operations ceased for a two-year planned shutdown.
Sand Springs Railway Company
William D. Macormic
|Company Affiliation||Gerdau Ameristeel|
|Interchange Points||Tulsa, OK|
|Agreement Type||Interline Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI, RailConnect.com, IRCS-Connect and E-Repair