Portland & Western Railroad, Inc. PNWR #626
Nature of Firm
The PNWR operates a 520-mile regional system of former BNSF and UP lines in western Oregon. In 2000, PNWR adopted all the stations of the Willamette & Pacific Railroad (WPRR). PNWR operates freight service from a connection with UP at Albany to Toledo (Toledo District, 75 miles): from Monroe through Alpine Jct, to Newburg to Cook (West Side District, 94 miles); and short branch lines to Dawson, Dallas and Willamina (31 miles).
PNWR operates freight service from a connection with UP at Brooklyn to Banks (Tillamook District, 36 miles); from Portland to Astoria (Astoria District, 97 miles); and a branch from Hillsboro to Seghers (10 miles). PNWR has trackage rights on UP from Albany to Eugene. Traffic is primarily forest and paper products, scrap, steel, salt, agriculture products and general commodities.
The Toledo line was built by the Willamette Valley & Coast Railroad chartered in 1879. In 1882, that company was reorganized as the Oregon Pacific, and in 1895 it became the Oregon, Corvallis & Eastern. In 1915 it became the Corvallis & Eastern and SP acquired control. The main line from McMinnville south was built in 1880 as the Western Oregon Railroad that was later acquired by SP. The line between McMinnville and Newburg was constructed in two increments. The lines were leased from the SP effective February 22, 1993.
Portland & Western Railroad, Inc.
|Company Affiliation||Genesee & Wyoming Inc.|
|Interchange Points||Brooklyn, Eugene and Albany, OR|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|