Nebraska Central Railroad Company NCRC #565
Nature of Firm
NCRC operates over 340 miles of track on three disconnected lines in northeastern and central Nebraska. One line runs from a connection with UP at Columbus to Norfolk (46.1 miles) with branches from Oconee to Albion (34.6 miles), and from Genoa to Spalding, (44.5 miles). A second line runs from a UP connection at Grand Island to Ord (59.9 miles). The third line runs from a UP connection at Central City to Brainard (62.7 miles). UP has granted the company 70 miles trackage rights between Grand Island and Columbus. NCRC operates a BNSF branch line from Central City to Palmer and has trackage rights over the BNSF from David City to Columbus. Traffic is predominantly grain with some fertilizer and scrap steel.
The Columbus lines were built by the Omaha, Niobrara & Black Hills Railroad, chartered April 24, 1879. The main line to Norfolk opened December 1, 1879 and the Cedar Rapids (Spalding) line opened five years later. In 1887, the ON&BH was acquired by the Omaha & Republican Valley Railroad. O&RV was chartered August 17, 1876 and built the Ord and Brainard lines. The Brainard line opened from Valley Station to Stromburg in January, 1884 while the Ord branch was completed in 1886. O&RV was controlled by Union Pacific and was merged into UP in November, 1898. UP leased the line on June 27, 1993.
Nebraska Central Railroad
|Company Affiliation||Rio Grande Pacific Corporation|
|Interchange Points||Columbus, Central City and Grand Island, NE|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|