Eastern Idaho Railroad Inc. EIRR #387
Nature of Firm
EIRR operates two separate clusters of track in south central and southeastern Idaho. The southeastern cluster contains 116 miles and runs from a UP connection at Idaho Falls to Ashton (51 miles). Connecting branch lines run from Orvin to Lincoln and Newdale (39 miles), and from Lincoln to Ammon; Ucon to Menan; and St. Anthony to Edmonds. The south central cluster includes 154 miles and runs from a connection with UP at Minidoka to Buhl (75 miles). Branch lines run from Rupert to Wendell (58 miles), and from Martin to Burley and Delco (21 miles). Traffic includes grain and agricultural products, food products, coal, limestone, aggregates and chemicals.
The St. Anthony Railroad was incorporated in May 1889 and opened a line from Idaho Falls to St. Anthony, ID in November 1899. This line was extended from St. Anthony through Ashton to West Yellowstone, WY by the Yellowstone Park Railway in 1906. Both companies were acquired by the Oregon Short Line Railroad in 1910. These lines make up the bulk of the southeastern cluster. The south central cluster, the line from Minidoka to Buhl was built by the Minidoka & Southwestern Railroad, incorporated in January 1904, and opened in May 1905. The M&SW was acquired by the Oregon Short Line Railroad in 1910, and OSL built the Rupert-Wendell and Burley-Martin lines about 1912. OSL was part of the Union Pacific System which sold the lines to present operator on November 22, 1993.
Eastern Idaho Railroad Inc.
|Interchange Points||Idaho Falls and Minidoka, ID|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|