Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Railway Company CIC #111
Nature of Firm
The CIC operates a 24.7 mile line between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, IA, plus 6.3 miles from Iowa City to Hills, IA and 21 miles from Cedar Rapids to Amana, IA. Direct connections are made with UP, CN, IANR, and IAIS. A haulage agreement with IAIS gives the company additional connections in Illinois and Iowa. Traffic includes coal, corn, paper, grain products and general commodities.
This railroad was built and operated as part of the Iowa Railway and Light Company in 1904. In 1914 a branch line was built from Cedar Rapids to Lisbon, and this line was abandoned in 1928. Operation of the railroad was separated from the electric company on January 1, 1950 when the present corporation was formed. On May 30, 1953 passenger service was discontinued and the railroad converted from electric to diesel power. In 1980, CIC acquired the Rock Island’s Hills branch and in 1981, CIC acquired the Milwaukee Road’s Amana branch.
Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Railway Company
|Company Affiliation||Alliant Energy Transportation Company|
|Interchange Points||Cedar Rapids, IA|
|Agreement Type||Interline Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|