Austin Western Railroad AWRR #71
Nature of Firm
AWRR operates freight service from a connection with UP at Giddings to Llano, TX (154.8 miles), with a branch extending from Fairland to Marble Falls, TX (6.4 miles). Connections are also made with UP at McNeil and Elgin. Traffic includes aggregates, crushed limestone, calcium bicarbonate, lumber, beer, chemicals, plastics and paper. The Austin & Texas Central runs a passenger excursion between Austin and Burnet, TX.
The line from Giddings to Austin was built by the Houston and Texas Central in 1871. The Austin Scobee line was built by the Austin & Northwestern, chartered April 20, 1881 and opened the following January. The Marble Falls branch was built by the affiliated Granite Mountain and Marble Falls Railroad which was merged with the original A&NW into the Houston & Texas Central on September 3, 1901. The H&TC was acquired by SP subsidiary. The City of Austin acquired the railroad in August of 1986. Capital Metropolitan Transit Authority acquired the railroad on May 20, 1998. Short Line service under RailTex A&NW started on August 15, 1986. Central Tennessee, doing business as Longhorn, took over from RailTex A&NW and commenced freight operations on May 6, 1996. Trans-Global Solutions, Inc operating as the Austin Area Terminal Railroad commenced operations in April 2000. Watco operating as the Austin Western Railroad (AWRR) commenced operations on October 1, 2007.
Austin Western Railroad
|Company Affiliation||Watco Companies, LLC|
|Interchange Points||Giddings, Elgin, and McNeil, TX|
|Agreement Type||Handling Carrier|
|Information Exchange Method||RMI|