Sand 2 Shale
Expedited Transit for Sand Shipments
Union Pacific’s Sand 2 Shale program is designed to meet the growing demand for frac sand, as energy companies continue to increase drilling at shale formations across the United States. Sand 2 Shale is a cost-competitive option delivering reliable transportation solutions that range from single rail car shipments to 100+ car unit train service. The program offers an exclusive Sand Dispatch train that expedites frac sand from the Northern White Sand mines to the Permian and Eagle Ford shales. Union Pacific continues to evaluate and adjust our service plans to ensure a successful service offering.
Sand 2 Shale FeaturesCustomized, Cost-Competitive Transportation Options
- Sand Dispatch train service (expedited transit from Northern mines to Southern shales)
- Unit train (100+ rail cars, single origin to single destination)
- Manifest (single rail car)
- Faster to market and more transit consistent than barge with seamless connection to other North American rail carriers
- Access to strategic sand mine origin and destination terminals throughout North America
- Direct access to approximately 50 percent of Northern white sand mine origins
- Easy-to-use, web-based tools to support logistics and fleet management; our Unit Train Customer Interface (UTCI) web application allows customers to quickly track their frac sand shipments
- Dedicated Marketing & Sales logistics expert in the frac sand market is your one point of contact for seamless communication and service
- National Customer Service Center (NCSC) Customer Care Managers, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to address any issues and support business growth
- Industrial Development Managers available to assist with origin and destination site selection and rail design
- Assistance with the rail access process, securing necessary approvals for new service
Get Started Today!
For additional information and pricing about our Sand 2 Shale service, contact your Union Pacific sales representative or our Sand Marketing Team.