Sand 2 Shale
Expedited Transit for Sand Shipments
Union Pacific’s Sand 2 Shale program is designed to meet the growing demand for frac sand, as energy companies continue to increase drilling at shale formations across the United States. Sand 2 Shale is a cost-competitive option delivering reliable transportation solutions that range from single rail car shipments to 100+ car unit train service. The program offers an exclusive Sand Dispatch train that expedites frac sand from the Northern White Sand mines to the Permian and Eagle Ford shales.
Sand 2 Shale FeaturesCustomized, Cost-Competitive Transportation Options
- Sand Dispatch train service (expedited transit from Northern mines to Southern shales)
- Unit train (100+ rail cars, single origin to single destination)
- Manifest (single rail car)
- Faster to market and more transit consistent than barge
- Access to strategic sand mine origin and destination terminals throughout North America
- Seamless connection to other North American rail carriers
- Environmentally-friendly transportation mode
- Easy-to-use, web-based tools to support logistics and fleet management; our Unit Train Customer Interface (UTCI) web application allows customers to quickly track their frac sand shipments
- A dedicated Marketing & Sales logistics expert in the frac sand market is your one point of contact for seamless communication and service
- National Customer Service Center (NCSC) Customer Care Managers, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to address any issues and support business growth
- Assistance with origin and destination site selection and rail design for new production facilities
- Assistance with the rail access process, securing necessary approvals for new service
Get Started Today!
For additional information and pricing about our Sand 2 Shale service, contact your Union Pacific sales representative or our Sand Marketing Team.