The Green Transportation Choice
Shipping with Union Pacific is a refreshing option for environmentally conscious companies. We’re usually the greenest choice – and the most affordable choice, too.
Compared to shipping by truck, rail is extremely fuel-efficient. A Union Pacific train can move one ton 830 miles on just one gallon of diesel fuel, and one double-stack train of containers can take nearly 300 trucks off the highway.
At Union Pacific, we build on that efficiency every day, constantly looking for ways to use less fuel and reduce emissions. That’s led to fuel-savings practices – in 2008, we saved 58 million gallons of diesel fuel by encouraging and rewarding engineers to be more efficient – and breakthrough technology, like our hybrid switching locomotive, which is estimated to reduce emissions up to 80 percent.
America's greenest fleet of locomotives.
- Since 2000, more than 3,300 new fuel-efficient, long-haul, high-horsepower locomotives have been added to Union Pacific’s fleet.
- More than two-thirds of our 8,400 locomotives are certified under existing U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Tier 0, Tier 1 and Tier 2 emissions standards.
Comparing Rail to Trucks
- Effective: Most rail cars can haul 3-5 truck loads in a single unit.
- Efficient: In most cases we are the most cost-efficient shipping option.
- Environmentally Friendly: A Union Pacific train can move one ton 865 miles on just one gallon of diesel fuel