& Transit Time Inquiry
- This application allows users to view prices in most of the
current UP-issued tariff/circular publications (also known as rate authorities)
available today, as well as many other railroad publications ("foreign documents")
in which UP is included in the routing. Note: only those tariff/circular publications
which list UP in the routing are available. Prices may be accessed either
for tariff rates (also known as point-to-point, or origin/destination rates),
or for mileage scale rates (based on mileage calculation methods known as
Railroad, R28300, Highway or a combination of same).
- The Mileage Calculator indicates the railroad mileage between
selected locations on the Union Pacific system, based on Tariff UP 6000 series
official distances between UP stations.
Placement & Release
- With this application, you can send an online order for spotting
(placement) and release of equipment at your industry. Based on your request,
UP will move loaded equipment from its yards and place it at a designated
location at your industry, and collect from your industry those pieces of
empty equipment which you list (by ID number) and submit.
- To access this application, call 1-800-872-1045 after
obtaining a customer User ID and password. This application allows customers
to submit bills of lading online. Detailed shipping instructions, including
billing data, rates, routing, and commodity information may be entered directly
into the form.
- Waybill History Inquiry allows customers to view details of
the last 10 waybills related to a piece of equipment, based on the equipment's
ID number. Details include billing information, special conditions, third
parties to the bill, and data on multiple car shipments, among other items
(the history and availability of details depends on the specific equipment
- Car Order
- Car Order enables customers to order rail cars, and to monitor
their car orders. Customers can order cars without assistance, after they
get reusable 'patterns' from Union Pacific's National Customer Service Center
(NCSC). To order cars, a customer needs only to select a pattern, and to specify
how many cars will be needed on each date chosen. Dates can be 7 to 90 days
in the future. In monitoring previously placed car orders, a customer can
see how many cars were ordered, and the quantity, status, and mechanical characteristics
of cars already applied to the order.
- This inquiry application accesses information regarding pended
bills on equipment moving to UP on another railroad or equipment destined
for, but not yet received at, an intermodal ramp.
- Access to the Dimensional Clearance Request form is automatic
upon acceptance of your registration as a customer with UP. Of primary interest
to industrial products commodities shippers, this is an online request form
for railroad clearance of dimensional and oversized shipments.
- Access to this application is automatic upon acceptance of
your registration as a customer with UP. Traces any car, regardless of railroad
line, as long as Union Pacific is included in the routing. Provides information
regarding the current location, scheduled and accomplished events, and waybill
data. Customers may enter and store lists of up to 100 equipment ID numbers
to facilitate tracing access.
- This inquiry application obtains information regarding the
status of pool assignments, equipment identification data, the location and
status of cars within a pool, and control orders referencing a pool. (A pool
consists of an assigned group of cars used to satisfy the requirements of
a particular customer at a specific location.)
- This consist inquiry can access information for all cars currently
on the train as well as cars scheduled to be picked up or set out by the train.
- This application accesses TCS information regarding equipment
characteristics and specifications.
- Use this application to obtain information on the gross, tare
and net weights for all equipment weighed on UP lines, as well as the location
at which the weighing was done and the date on which the weights were taken.
- This application provides Energy and Agricultural Products
customers a Web-based solution for their forecasting, incentive process management,
train destination management, tracing and real-time reporting requirements
Delivery & Information Management System
- Provides automobile manufacturers and ramp operators access
to the real time status of new vehicles (cars and trucks) being transported
over UP. VINs are tracked at all UP distribution and loading facilities, as
well. The system aids UP auto ramp operations in forecasting workload at UP
facilities, details current facility inventory, and provides a work projection
process between the facility and the haulaways, in order to pre-plan for dealer
- This tracing application (located at the Steelroads Web site)
uses the rail industry's powerful central computer to extract shipment location
information from over 300 railroads in North America. Most of these reportings
are available within a couple of hours of their occurrence. Requires registration
at the Steelroads Web site to obtain access (only railroads and rail customers
are eligible). For additional information and password registration, go to
the Steelroads site. For support or assistance, please phone the UP EDI team
- This application accesses information regarding the status
of shipments moving on UP.
- Determines the list of locations associated with the Customer
and displays the cutoff times for inbound and outbound rail cars at each location.
Private Empty Storage
- Chemical Private Empty Storage allows customers to view their
current chemical private empty car inventory via the Internet. This application
includes month-to-date summary and detail data by customer. Customers also
are able to download the information to their local system. Please call your
UP Business Manager or Director for any data-related questions.
- Intermodal Accessorial Management
- Allows the customer to view and/or authorize storage on Intermodal
units at the ramps.
- Private Car Registration
- This application is to register private and foreign rail cars where UP is the origin road haul carrier. Customers must submit an application prior to the shipper-provided cars being moved online.
- Based on your preferences, this application provides automated
notification for more than 20 service events that impact your shipments. It
includes information for bad orders, equipment constructively placed at your
facility, and more.
- Based on your preferences, this application provides automated
notification via Web and e-mail for changes to UP prices.
- Web Freight Bill offers customers the ability to receive their
freight bills via the Web and remit their payments via their current process.
The feature also includes the ability to dispute and print their freight bills.
For more information, call 1-877-712-4687.
- Web Invoice/Payment
- Account on the Web (AOW) offers customers the ability to manage their invoices, payments, and dispute processes via the Internet. For more information, call 1-877-712-4687.
- This application allows customers to access information regarding
trains servicing mines, power plants, and unit grain shipments, including
exact trains headed to and from the facilities, their estimated arrival times,
their status and current location, and the train's equipment consist.
- Through this application, customers may select from eight
(of the 28 existing types) of the UP equipment notification reports, which
may be viewed and printed from this Web site. Select as many or few types
of reports as desired--selections may be changed at any time. Notification
types currently available include:
- Actually Placed
Regarding loaded equipment placed at the customer's industry for unloading.
- Arrived at Destination
Regarding equipment which has arrived at its billing destination.
- Bad Order
Regarding equipment that has been damaged and delayed due to the necessity
of repairs while enroute.
- Cars Enroute
Regarding equipment enroute to the customer.
- Constructive Placement
Regarding equipment which is being held outside a customer's facility,
awaiting their request for placement.
- No Waybill
Regarding shipments that are loaded and released to the railroad without
- Van Notification
Regarding vans or containers that have reached their destination and are
ready for customer pickup.
Regarding shipments that have been weighed on UP.
- Reciprocal Switching Circular
This circular lists the specific fees UP charges other railroads for reciprocal
switching service at the terminals listed.
Car Allocation System - Voucher Authorization
- A simplified method for Grain Car customers to view Grain
Car Tenders and to submit bids for guaranteed car placement.
Reciprocal Switching Circular
- Reciprocal Switching is an arrangement between carriers where
the carrier physically serving the industry performs switching service on
behalf of the other carrier on shipments having an immediately-preceding or
following line-haul movement via the other carrier.
The UP Reciprocal Switching Circular is a listing of specific fees UP charges
other railroads for reciprocal switching service at the terminals listed.
UP provides reciprocal switching only to or from UP customers specifically
listed in this circular. Shipments to or from UP customers not listed must
move in UP line-haul service.