Biofuels & Co-Products
Union Pacific can help Ethanol and Biodiesel Producers move products and co-products through the distribution chain in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Our services include the following:
- Assistance in site selection and rail design for new production facilities
- Assistance in developing unloading terminals in major consumption markets
- Movement of product in manifest (single car), sweep (two origins to one destination) or unit train (one origin to one destination) shipments to major consumptive markets
- Connections to the all major North American carriers and select western regional carriers for ability to supply a larger market
- On-site safety consultations
- Access to online tools to manage fleets of cars
All sweep and unit train shipments must be pre-approved by Union Pacific - minimum and maximum are dependant on commodity and destination.
Moving Product Via Rail
- All new facilities must obtain approval through UP's Rail Access Process prior to construction.
- Tank cars must be privately owned or leased for movement Ethanol and Biodiesel as well as Hoppers for DDG movements.
- Buffer cars for ethanol sweep and unit trains must be furnished by the customer.
- All unit and sweep trains must be pre-approved by UP, forecasted in UP's system, and follow all tariff rules and guidelines.
For additional information, please contact a member of the Biofuels and Co-Products Team.
Public Tariff Pricing
Public pricing is available with discounts for sweep and unit train shipments and can be looked up by document or by origin and destination at Price and Transit Time Inquiry.